The University of Liverpool’s School of the Arts invites expressions of interest for the 2017/18 British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship scheme. These awards offer opportunities for outstanding early career researchers to strengthen their experience of research and teaching in a university environment – further information, including eligibility criteria, can be found here.
The University of Liverpool is one of the United Kingdom’s leading research institutions with an annual turnover of £400 million, including £140 million for research. Liverpool is ranked in the top 1% of universities worldwide and is a member of the prestigious Russell Group, comprising the leading research universities in the United Kingdom.
The Department of English conducts research in three main areas: literature, language, and creative writing. We aim to foster and develop strategic partnerships, particularly with local and national cultural organisations, to reach those who can benefit from our research. Impact is achieved in the following core areas:
• Widening, deepening and challenging public understanding of literature and its cultural contexts, particularly through public service broadcasting, national exhibitions, and live literature events
• Development of impacts and potential impacts of literature on health, well-being and quality of life, delivered primarily through long-standing links with The Reader Organisation
• Stimulation of cultural and creative activity and an extension of the reach and possibilities of language and the imagination, through public lectures, workshops, and live literature events
• Assessing, shaping and changing literary and cultural value - our researchers have acted as judges for international literature prizes, including the Man Booker and National Poetry Competition
Since 2010, we have been part of the School of Arts, one of four Schools in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences. The School also includes the departments of Architecture, Communications and Media, Music and Philosophy.
Those interested in applying for a Postdoctoral Fellowship at the University of Liverpool are invited to submit expressions of interest to Professor David Seed (firstname.lastname@example.org), by 5pm on Monday 4th September 2017, consisting of the following:
• CV (2 pages max) and a list of publications (1 page max)
• an outline (2 pages max) of the research proposal, including intended publication outputs
• 100-word abstract
• Identification of potential mentor
Applicants to be supported by the Department will be informed by 8th September. All shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend a workshop in the week commencing 18th September (date to be confirmed), which will include presentations and advice about the scheme, and give candidates the opportunity to meet with their chosen mentor.